Thursday, October 23, 2014
Adult Student
"You can do it all. You just can't do it all at the same time." I recently spewed these words of wisdom to one of my children. This has become somewhat of a mantra. I do believe it, despite the difficult nature of a lot of things that one may want to do. But how do you really know if you are on the right path?
It has been quite a while since I wrote a blog post. I'm pondering changing the name and targeted audience of my blog. Maybe I will start to write about life coaching type stuff. Heck, maybe I can benefit from my own wise words. Do any of you out there have an idea that you think I may be somewhat qualified to write about? I continue to go back to life hacks, struggles, triumphs, etc.
So, how do you know if you are on the right path? I recently read an article that stated that if you know where you will be in ten years then you are already at your destination and therefore not on a path. So, does the fact that I don't know where I will be in ten years mean that I am headed in the right direction? This idea is hard to wrap my mind around. But what I can say is that there are some distinct and unique challenges to being an adult college student.
I am on my fifth semester in college, an actual brick and mortar institution, and some challenges are beginning to become apparent. I tend to relate more to the professors than I do to the students. And why not? I have as much life experience as they do. I have a family (husband, children) like a lot of them do. The main difference between us is that I did not finish my education when I was younger and they did. So it is a challenge to be in a position that a lot of very young adults are in with much less life experience and, frankly, a lot fewer responsibilities. I am not into the social scene at college. I am not looking for a life mate or a bff at college. I am only trying to do what I failed to do earlier in life and get that little slip of paper that tells employers that I am worthy of doing work for them and getting paid a decent salary.
I think that there should be not-for-profit colleges that are geared mainly towards older adults. Actual physical state-run colleges or campuses that are designed around the student who has a very full basket of adult responsibilities. These institutions should feel welcoming to the individuals with more mature, well-developed, and specific aspirations, and would therefore be full of members of the adult community who are looking to advance, supplement, and progress their level of knowledge. Maybe, in these establishments there would be ample opportunity, and possibly even expectation, for people to share their life experience and vast wealth of knowledge with other students and professors through projects, mini-classes, study groups, teacher-for-a-day programs, and other hands on, real life, practical means. There would also be activities and extracurriculars that would include student's families. I believe more people would opt to pursue an education later in life if options like this were available.
I would love to hear your ideas and opinions about this notion.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment