Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Pacific Northwest, More Than a Duty Station



The drive to school this morning was a good one. As we walked outside to the realization of rain, the memories of our time in Washington State flooded to the forefronts of our minds. The nostalgia of the grey drizzle sparked cheery conversation. Mermaid, especially, looks upon her time in the Pacific Northwest very fondly.

We lived on Whidbey Island out in the Puget Sound in northwest Washington from the time Mermaid was seven until she was nine. I don't know if those years are particularly formative in a child's life but the time she spent there has shaped everything she's done since. She swam in her first meet in Oak Harbor. She sold her first Girl Scout cookies in Oak Harbor. She learned how to make a PowerPoint presentation and had her first slumber party. Many milestones for her were reached there. She still maintains contact with her best friend in Oak Harbor. And to this day, she loves the rain. 

I've been a little embarrassed to admit it, but as everyone here in the South East has been grumbling about the significant amount of rain we've been getting this year, I am secretly pleased. Aside from having to mow the lawn more often I have absolutely enjoyed the rain and gloom in Georgia. Partially because it cools things down and partially because of the nostalgia of times past that it brings to me. 

Before moving to Washington we spent three years in Hawaii. While it took some time for me to get acclimated to living in the PacNorWest I did eventually learn to love it. I mean, come on! Moving from paradise to doom and gloom takes some getting use to! That first year was especially difficult for me. I tend to get the blues during winter weather so I was really anticipating summer coming. By June I started to look for signs of warmer weather and sunshine. By the time September rolled around I had realized that all I was gonna get was a day or two of 80 degrees and cloudless skies. I was facing a long dark winter. I tried several things to brighten my moods. After I learned how to battle the sadness and gloom of the constant drizzle through activity, exercise, and getting outside every day I really began to see the beauty around me. From limitless apples in Autumn to berries of all kinds through the Spring and Summer, the many lakes and rivers, and the gorgeous Cascade Mountains, there was no shortage of exploration opportunities. 

Since it was our shore duty we had ample time to explore the area. We drove our poor car all over the Pacific Northwest to places like Yellowstone National Park, Lake Shuswap in British Columbia, Victoria, and Crater Lake in South Oregon. We discovered a charming Bavarian Village called Leavenworth just East of the Cascades on our way to a fun filled week at Lake Chelan (the 3rd deepest lake in the country). We also discovered that temperatures do rise beyond 80 in the Eastern part of the state. They even get into the 90s and sometimes the 100s. Since we had friends who owned a time share at the lake, we spent several long weekends there. It was a great escape from the drear of the West. 



There are countless opportunities for family fun in and around Washington State. I have included a list of things that the Northwest has to offer. Start here and you will soon discover infinite possibilities. Access Washington has a lot of great information as well as www.experiencewa.com. Remember to always check your local MWR and ITT office for discounts and special offers. You will be surprised at the money you can save! 

~Olympic National Park offers camping, hiking, and fishing. 
~Seattle- LOVE that city! From the ninety-something Starbucks locations, including the very first one at Pike Place Market, to Pioneer Square; Quest Field, home of the Seattle Seahawks, to Safeco Field, home of the Seattle Mariners (look for Military appreciation days and USO discounted or free tickets for military); the Space Needle to Fremont, where a giant troll sits under a bridge (read about it here http://fremont.com/about/fremonttroll-html/); The Experience Music Project to The Pacific Northwest Ballet; The Pacific Science Center to the Klondike Gold Rush NationalHistoric Park, where you can add a stamp to your passport book; Woodland Park Zoo to the Seattle waterfront; there is truly something for everyone. 
~There are many whale watching opportunities. You can book a tour or try your luck at seeing a whale from one of the ferries. We saw a porpoise from the ferry! Also,you can sometimes see grey whales from the San Juan Islands. 
~Explore the San Juan Islands.
~Ebeys Landing National Historic Preserve on Whidbey Island offers stunning views of the Sound for hikers. 
~The Cascade Loop is a gorgeous drive circling through the North Cascade Mountains. The scenic highway features several different terrains and offers many interesting places to stop and stretch your legs. Winthrop is a fun old West style gold mining town. Great place to stop and get a burger. 
~Check http://www.wfea.org/html/events_calendar.html for a calendar of festivals and events. It seems like there was always  a festival or carnival going on somewhere close by. The Tulip Festival in Skagit Valley in April is one of the most magnificent things I've ever seen.
~Visit different points on the Oregon Trail in Washington, Oregon, and Idaho.  
~There are loads of fishing, boating, and hiking opportunities all over the Northwest United States.
~Learn about the life cycle of the salmon while visiting a fish ladder

Seattle
 exploring tide pools at Bowman Bay
skipping rocks at Windjammer Park
Seattle with Mt. Rainier in back.





2 comments:

  1. Great information here, Sarah (shared on facebook). I'm happily surprised you got used to the weather, it was too depressing for me. I'm solar powered ;) This is the first post I've read so far... I have some catching up to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dunno if I got use to it, but definitely learned to cope with it. It was a constant effort, but well worth it.

    ReplyDelete