Recently Mermaid brought a project assignment home from school. Make a 3D map of the Middle East. "Okay," I said. "How do you do it? What are the instructions?"
To which, Mermaid replied, "He didn't give any." (What??) "He wants us to be creative. We have a month to do it."
Really? Hhhmmmm...
So, after a brief brainstorming session revealing zilch I carry on with my life. She has a month, right? A week goes by and I ask her what she had decided. She needs a poster board. So, I jaunt down to the dollar store and pick up two.
Mermaid spends two weekends trying to freehand the map onto the poster board before finally getting too frustrated to continue beyond Turkey and Syria. "The scale is all wrong!," she wails. So she erases the entire thing and starts over. It didn't take long before the tears came and she decided it couldn't be done.
So I told her to print me a map from the internet and I'll go get it enlarged.
Then, King Trition, who was quietly engrossed in work of his own interjected. "Why don't you just put it on a flash drive instead of printing it?"
"What?!" I exclaimed. "They won't know what to do with that!"
Triton looked at me quizzically. "Have you ever used a flash drive??"
"No. But I have enlarged a printed picture." I know what I'm doing! I did it last year for Turtle's Daisy troop when i made a Pin the Spout on the Kettle game!
Needless to say, Mermaid and Triton collaborated to find a suitable map and proceeded to save it to Mermaid's flash drive. Then Triton looked at me with mild disgust, handed me the flash drive and said, " They will know what to do with it."
"Fine!," I muttered, "I'll see what I can do."
The next day I took the tiny purple piece of plastic and some sort of metal (that happened to be rusted from going through the washing machine) to the print shop. I put on my most confident, "I know what's going on" face and asked the lady behind the counter if she could print a poster board sized map off this flash drive.
"Sure." The lady took the drive, walked to the back of the store, plugged it into a computer next to a dinosaur sized printer and instantly found the map. Within 20 seconds I had a practically life sized map of the Middle East. I sheepishly thanked her and payed for it.
Ok, so this stupid little plastic thing can hold a butt ton of information and everyone but me knows how to use it. I am enlightened once again.
This weekend we will figure out how to make this map three dimensional. And I don't think we'll get any help from the flash drive! Wish us luck!

Lol the wonders of technology! It's going to take over the world. My vote is to do modeling clay with the uber sized map that you now have.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the suggestion! I think she decided to try paper machet or something similar. I'll let you know how that turns out!
ReplyDeleteThis made me LOL: "tiny purple piece of plastic and some sort of metal" I can still remember using a flash drive for the first time. I didn't think it would work, but voilĂ ...it worked despite me and my tech dis-ability. <3
ReplyDelete