Ok, no problem, who needs the internet anyway? I can totally get along without it for, at the very least, a day. It happened to be a day off school as well, so all the kiddos were home. I thought, this is the perfect time to finish up some of the school projects they have been working on. So we get Turtle set up on the table with her solar system box to do some painting. Well, she wanted to know what color to paint each planet. Hhhmmm, can't look online. Aha! Shark Boy has his science book with pictures of the the planets in it. This also helped Turtle to write a summary to go with her project. It's good to have older siblings!
Meanwhile, Mermaid was writing her paper on the structure of a cell. After about 5 hours in front of the computer to write a few paragraphs I gave her a half hour time limit to finish it. I can only assume the lack of digital info caused this digression.
Shark Boy had just found a science fair project online that he was interested in at the very moment the internet cut out. Figures. Unfortunately we didn't have any books in the house with science fair ideas. I suppose we could have gone to the library to look, but we have time yet and I was in the middle of trading and researching some stocks. Doh!! So, Shark Boy decided to decorate the house for Halloween instead, which is great because I'm just not feeling it this year. But now that it's decorated and he lit some pumpkin scented candles I can feel it!
Alright, what can I do that I don't need the internet for? Well, I have softball practice soon, but the weather isn't looking so good. Think I'll check out weather.com to inquire about the hourly weather for today so I can plan for going or not going to practice. No internet. Ok, I'll use my phone. Unfortunately, I don't get a good signal in my house without the signal booster which runs off our wireless router which wasn't working. Needless to say, I couldn't check the FB page for my team either to see if anyone had posted about whether or not practice was going to happen.Wow, I really am quite dependent on the internet.
Luckily, after working on it all day, Grams got it working for us at about 8pm. For the next hour all portals to the World Wide Web in the house were occupied.
I can fondly remember the days without computers, much less the internet. But, now, it has become such an integral part of society as well as personal life that I don't know what we'd do without it. We would adjust I suppose. But, right now I don't have to time to think about that, I have some online research, banking, corresponding, shopping, and travel planning to do!

No comments:
Post a Comment