Thursday, October 25, 2012

Move #13


This past July we received orders to move to Hawaii in February 2013. Hhhhhmmmm, really? Orders 8 months in advance?????? This seemed more than strange to me. We typically get orders maybe 3-8 weeks before Triton is due to report to the new duty station. Then they change once or twice during our move preparations. Usually the modification happens after I have already taken a step or two towards relocating with our existing orders. ie. after I have shipped a car, or bought a house. So, why I let myself get talked into  believing in these particular orders I have no idea! I wasn't even terribly keen on the idea of going back to Hawaii. Just thinking about the dynamics of such a move had me overwhelmed. None the less, I proceeded to research and make plans. Luckily, this time the change came just after I put our truck up for sale. That's easy to reverse!
So, now we have our sights set on Washington DC. Whew! THAT will be a much easier move! Just a day's drive up the Eastern seaboard. No problem. Yes we still have a lot of researching to do as far as where we will live. And DC afford's the same high housing cost issues that Hawaii does but without the extra benefit of  a Cost Of Living Allowance (COLA) added to the Navy paycheck. Still, at this point in our lives we prefer to stay in the Continental United States (CONUS).
I know that this is also subject to change, so I will do a little non nonchalant browsing of the areas in and around DC, but no hard core plans yet!  Regardless of how aggravating it will prove to be, I have a good feeling about this next move. It very well could be our Lucky 13! Now... if only we could nail down a destination! I'll let you know when I get there!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I'd much rather DC than Hawaii! One of my best friends just moved back from there. The location was lovely but that was the ONLY good thing about that duty station, heheh. Better as a vacation venue :) Here's hoping lucky 13 will live up to it's number!

    ReplyDelete