This is a topic I have thought about writing about. I jotted it down a few months ago and my mind wanders back to it every now and then. I have never mentioned it to my kids, or maybe to anyone for that matter, but it is, I believe, an all too common phenomenon within the military lifestyle. What inspired me to finally put it into words was the conversation I had with Mermaid when I picked her up from swim practice. She said,"Mom, you know one thing I really don't like about moving often?"
"What's that?", I asked.
She went on to tell me about how she would love to be on a swim team with teammates that she grew up with like all the other kids on her team who have known each other for years and have been competing together since grade school. But she will never get that chance. How every time we move and every time she joins a new sports team or club she is the only kid who doesn't know anyone else. She is always the new kid.
I guess I was hoping that realization would never come to her, but alas, at thirteen years old it would be a miracle if it went unnoticed. I struggle myself with this. I'm at a loss as to what advice to give her. I don't know how to fix it; for myself or for her. How do I justify making her continue a sport she loves and is great at when she dreads going to practice?
I've always talked a big talk about getting the kids involved as soon as we move somewhere. And making sure they are able to take advantage of every opportunity they would have even if we never moved. But this is starting to become a real challenge.
I know exactly how she feels. I'm always the odd one out. I'm always the parent emailing and calling the coaches trying to get my kid on the team or in the group or club mid-season and then pulling them out because they didn't feel they fit in there only to do it again. When we finally do find a place we feel like we can begin to belong it's moving time again and we get to do it all over.
I'm glad that Mermaid is outgoing and makes friends easily. I'm not and I don't. I don't know which personality type this is easier for. I hope it's easier for her.
Her little brother, Shark Boy, has always struggled with change so I can only imagine the hurdles we will have to leap when he starts to take notice of being the new kid. Or maybe he will surprise us all and sail through it like a pro. A parent can only hope.
I'm grateful for the neighborhood friends that help provide Turtle with the stability I am striving to provide for her. She knows the move is coming and occasionally expresses her disapproval. But, for the most part she is too preoccupied with being a seven-year-old to be terribly concerned.
All I know to do is to keep on keeping on. Keep trying to find that sense of belonging even if only for a little while and keep hope that the next place will provide it.

Love this post and it is so, so true. I lived this with my older children. I think it did make it easier in life in certain aspects. College being one of them. Very few childhood friends go off to College together and this makes it easier for them. Also, in the workplace. My kids did run into children that they were in Elementary School with when they went to High School. I think facebook may help with this. I belong to several area Military pages and I constantly read posts from moms that are introducing themselves and their children to the group. The moms are putting themselves out there, mentioning their children's ages and likes in hopes of finding local moms for coffee dates and play dates. I am always so grateful to all the members that jump right on with a welcome and info about their children and an invitation to get together. I can almost hear a sigh of relief from the mom that posted the introduction. Military children also have a tendency to reach out both as the "new" kid and to the "new" kid. I always hear from my kids when there is a new kid in class and my first question is, did you introduce yourself and "welcome them? My older children were always more likely to have done that than my younger ones. My younger ones have grown up here since my husband retired. I guess that is something "Military children" inertly know, having been there. I would also encourage them to stay in touch with their friends thru email, snail mail and facebook if age appropriate. I do know we will stay in touch and I do hope the kids stay in each others lives and wind up back together again.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the perspective. You are right, this experience definitely produces some unique qualities and personality traits that,I think, are great assets. These kinds of experiences can definitely help a person to succeed, maybe a little easier later in life. Also, like you said, having been there gives them the ability to comfort others in the same situation. We will definitely stay in touch! I very much value your experience and insights.
ReplyDelete